Friday, January 11, 2013

For my prima

I tire of the gun control arguments, blaming guns, video games, Internet and whatever else, the anti-obesity initiatives, public education failures, and other random BS. My kid shoots firearms and respects them as a weapon. She also plays black ops 2, battlefield, halo, and other first person shooting games. She watches criminal minds, csi, bbt, an ncis. She's 12. She eats fast food. She has a smartphone and in social networking. She is also fit, in advanced classes, straight A's, math team, dances, and plays full kit drum. She actively supports the local non-profit shelter. The main thing is that she knows the difference between fiction and reality. She is aware of her responsibilities and is grateful for the things that she has. She doesn't abuse her privileges.

Yes, I check her phone, I know what she is doing. I also let her make mistakes. I know her teachers: I try and stay involved in her activities, but I don't infringe. She has to learn from her own experiences an mistakes, I can't do that for her.

So to all the people blaming someone or something else, look to yourself first. What are you doing as a parent, friend, neighbor, or coworker to help prevent anything that is "newsworthy"?

No comments:

Post a Comment